< BackLeading Australian paint brand, Taubmans has uncovered that our nation is stuck deep in a home decorating rut. The vast majority of Australians (80%) would like to change their homes’ appearance, and 57% don’t use certain rooms as much as they would like to as a result.
Australians challenged to break out of a decorating rut, with 8 in 10 wanting to change their home’s appearance 28 February 2014
The study of 1,000 Australian homeowners found that one quarter (24%) of people try to hide rooms away behind closed doors when visitors arrive, and 31% claim that their spare room has become a useless dumping ground.
It seems that our unsightly homes are dampening our mood, with more than two thirds (67%) confirming that having a room that needs redecorating has a negative impact on how they feel. The most common emotions dragging people down are frustration that they don’t use the room enough (40%) and embarrassment when guests see the offending space (23%).
Despite these disappointments, it seems that many of us are well and truly stuck in a decorating rut, with half (51%) of Australians having spent two or more years thinking about making a change, without doing anything about it. Lack of time (25%) and the cost (71%) are the most common factors blamed for inaction, with a further 16% putting their hands up and admitting procrastination.
To lift the nation out of this depressing rut, Taubmans design and decorating guru, Shaynna Blaze are launching the Taubmans Endure Paint Challenge to encourage Australians to get off the couch and make the change they wish to see in their home.
“Refreshing décor is a positive mood lifter and gives people more pride in their home, as when it looks better, it inevitably feels better,” advises Shaynna Blaze, Taubmans Colour Creative Director and Brand Ambassador.
“Redecorating can seem like a time-intensive and tedious task, but with just a lick of colourful paint you can quickly and easily give your home a much-needed facelift, without breaking the bank,” says Shaynna.
The Taubmans Endure Paint Challenge aims to demystify home decoration and help Australians with the process of painting, from that initial spark of creativity to the final coat by providing everything they need – from inspiration and equipment, to fail safe colour palettes and expert tips.
Nadine Miller-Vachon, Taubmans Head of Marketing explains, “Through the Taubmans Endure Paint Challenge, we’re aiming to inspire Australians to inject uplifting colour into their world and to help them fall back in love with their homes. We want to make people feel confident to undertake painting projects by providing them trips and tricks on how to best conquer their DIY challenges.
“We know that when it comes to decorating a home, the costs can add up quickly. That’s why we’re encouraging Australians to use the easy and cost-effective option of painting to improve their homes, and to experience the positive difference it can make.”
Participation in the Taubmans Endure Paint Challenge involves a few simple steps*:
1. Register at www.taubmans.com.au to take part
2. Buy a can of Taubmans Endure from Bunnings and keep your receipt
3. Paint either an interior or exterior wall of your home, at least two square meters in size, using Taubmans Endure
4. Upload a before and after photo of your painting project to complete your entry, by 26 April 2014
As an added incentive to pick up the paint brush, there are over $150,000 in prizes* to be won, including $500 Bunnings vouchers for the first 100 entries, major cash prizes of $12,500 each and a money-can’t-buy grand prize of a photo shoot and magazine spread, featuring the winning interior and exterior makeovers.
To find out more about the Taubmans Endure Paint Challenge and for expert decorating tips and tricks, visit www.taubmans.com.au
Taubmans Endure is the only interior paint with a lifetime guarantee, plus Nanoguard technology to provide maximum protection and superior washability.
- ENDS -
*Please see full T&Cs below:
1) Promotion dates: 23/02/14 12.01am to 26/04/14 11.59pm AEST;
(2) Entry open to Australian residents aged 18+, who have purchased any can of Taubmans Endure Paint (Interior or Exterior) from any participating Bunnings store in Australia. Entry not open to Bunnings staff, industry professionals or commercial property organisations, paint store owners and PPG account holders and their immediate families
(3) During the Promotion Period, you must purchase any can of Taubmans Endure Paint (Interior or Exterior), tinted in any Taubmans colour, from any participating Bunnings in Australia; retain your original receipt as proof of purchase; paint any area of the interior or exterior of the house/dwelling in which you live using Taubmans Endure Paint (painted area must be at least 2m2). Objects such as furniture and accessories are excluded; Visit the website at www.taubmanspaintchallenge.com.au enter the Taubmans Endure product and Taubmans colour tint used; upload 1 photo showing either the interior of your house/dwelling or exterior of your house/dwelling BEFORE painting with Taubmans Endure Paint and 1 photo showing the interior of your house/dwelling or exterior of your house/dwelling AFTER painting with Taubmans Endure Paint (max 2 photos). Enter the participating Bunnings store you purchased your paint from.
(4) First 100 valid entries received will each win a Bunnings Gift Card valued at $500 (Minor Prize). The best entry showing the house/dwelling’s interior and the best entry showing the house/dwelling’s exterior, from each State Group, that represents the statement, “what a difference a fresh coat of paint can make”, based on use of colour, creativity, uniqueness, individuality and the final result, as judged by our panel, will each win $12,500. Based on the same judging criteria, the best overall entry showing the house/dwelling’s interior and the best overall entry showing the house/dwelling’s exterior will be selected, from each of the State Group winners. The best two entries from each of the winners of the State Groups will be interviewed, have professional photos of their house taken and displayed in the July edition of Home Beautiful magazine.
(5) State Groups: NSW/ACT, Qld, WA/NT, VIC/SA/Tas.
(6) The Minor Prize will be drawn in order of receipt at 4-14 Buckingham St, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010 from 23/02/14; The Major Prize will be judged at 100 Chalmers St, Surry Hills, NSW 2010 on 02/05/14 10.00am AEST
(7) Winners will be notified by phone and published on the website at www.taubmanspaintchallenge.com.au
(8) Minor Prize Winners will be notified from 23/02/14. Major Prize Winners will be notified from 09/05/14;
(9) Promoter is PPG Industries Australia Pty Limited (ABN82 055 500 939) of 9 Birmingham Avenue, Villawood, NSW 2163. For full terms and conditions, visit www.taubmanspaintchallenge.com.au. NSW Permit No LTPS 13/09255, SA Permit No T13/2162
Notes to Editors:
For more information on Taubmans, visit www.taubmans.com.au
For more information on the Taubmans Endure Paint Challenge or Taubmans Endure, please contact DEC PR at email@example.com or call 02 8014 5033.