How to Create Wall Stencils With Matt & Gloss Paint
From ordinary to extraordinary
Stand out from the crowd with the breathtaking effect of wall stencils using gloss over the top of matt paint. Design inspiration can come from anywhere, and be uniquely you. So if it’s impact you’re looking for, or just a subtle enhancement, then this stunning treatment is for you.
You should allow
a weekend to paint
an entire room.
Here's what you're going to need:
or CRAFT DIE-CUTTING
CLEAR PLASTIC POCKETS
CUTTING KNIFE & BOARD
- Prepare the walls using Taubmans 3 in 1, Pure Performance, or Easy Coat Prep. Check out the Taubmans ‘How to Prepare a Wall Video’ for a step by step guide.
- Paint the walls first using a Matt sheen level in your chosen colour
- We’ve taken inspiration from an Aztec/Tribal pattern for our design. Create your stencil from a favourite image, or use a standard shape, for example a cross or triangles.
- To create the stencil, you could invest in a craft die-cutting machine. Or, if you’re on a tighter budget clear A4 or A3 plastic pockets, a metal ruler, cutting knife, and board will do.
- Print your design onto thick paper or cards, overlay the plastic, then tape it so it’s secure for cutting. Trace carefully with your knife, making sure you have a clean cut edge. If you accidentally cut into your pattern, try and tidy it up or simply re-do it.
- Cut a minimum of 4-5 stencils, but we recommend at least double so you can swap them out when they get too messy.
- Carefully measure and mark out the position of the stencils on your wall. Ensure they’re spaced correctly and straight - unless your pattern is intentionally random.
- Using painters tape, secure 4-5 stencils in place, then using a small roller, paint over them using a gloss finish. Repeat this across the wall.
- Now it’s time to style! Be bold, be unapologetic, and enjoy having people round to show off your amazing new design! To download the Aztec stencil for free, go to www.gracegarrett.com
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? LET’S GO PAINT!
Colour Shown: Black Fox